Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ter Borch: Part 4



























I am now working on developing the incredible sheen on the satin gown. Ter Borch applied the paint in several layers of glaze and in many cases it appears as if the highlights are floating on glass.  I have been having a tough time trying to figure out how he did this.  I'm hoping that effect will appear once I have done a final varnish of the painting.  

It's clear to me that Ter Borch worked wet into wet paint using a very tiny brush and many short strokes in order to achieve that wonderful sheen on the gown.  I am mostly using a number "0" sable brush for this. One visitor asked me if I was using metallic paint in order to achieve the iridescent effect so I must be doing something right!

I think I have one more session on the dress, then I can move on to the background figures.

1 comment:

  1. Rena: What a project! I don't know how you have the patience. Amazing work, truly amazing. Are you doing workshops this year?

    ReplyDelete